Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Light in Our Hearts.


Horace Bushnell

From the book: Sermons on Biblical Characters

Written by: Charles G. Chappell, D.D.

Horace Bushnell, while a student at Yale, felt that he was in the way of a great revival that was sweeping through the University. He did not want to stand in the way of this. He did not feel he could come out on the side of Jesus Christ for he did not believe in Christ.

"What then do you believe?" a voice within him seemed to ask. "I  believe there is an absolute difference between right and wrong," was the answer. "Have you ever put yourself on the side of right to follow it regardless of the consequences?" was the next question. "I have not," was the answer, "but I will."

So, Horace Busnell knelt there in his room and dedicated himself to the service of the right. And what was the result? After he had been a preacher in Hartford, Connecticut for forty-seven years he said, "Better than I know any man in Hartford I know Jesus Christ."

I believe that Jesus spoke the simple truth when he said, "If any man is willing to do His will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it is of God or whether I speak from myself." However little you may believe at this present moment, if you will be loyal to what you do believe, if you follow the light that you have, it will bring you into the brightness of day.

No comments: