Sunday, December 12, 2010

Should We Ask For Signs From God?


When Abraham's son, Isaac, became a man, Abraham sent his servant to his family in a far off land. He wanted Isaac to marry a girl who knew about God. He didn't want him to marry a girl from the Caananites, for these people worshiped idols which had human sacrifices.
His servant went to Nahor and came to the well. He prayed to God and asked him for a sign so he could find Abraham's family and a girl for Isaac. Immediately, God gave him a sign and the servant found Rebekah. He now knew where to go and what to do.

I once asked God for a sign. At the time, I was living in Vancouver babysitting my grandsons. They had grown now to the age of 12 and 13. They no longer needed me after school. But my daughter in Kelowna did need me. She wanted to go back to work part-time and needed a sitter for her young children. The problem was my husband had a good job in Vancouver and was going to be promoted. His salary would be quite large and it was a job he wanted.

We didn't know what God wanted us to do. It was such an important decision that I told my husband we wouldn't go unless God gave us a sign. So we prayed and waited. A few weeks later I had a dream. In the dream I was on a plane with my mother and we were moving back to Kelowna. As I looked out the plane window, I knew this was where God wanted us to be. When I woke up, I told my husband the dream and we decided it was a sign from God. He began to look for work in Kelowna.

At the time, my husband's company had no work here. But soon the company decided to open up a shop in Kelowna and started hiring. My husband applied and was accepted. I moved here first, my husband followed later. Even though we lost a lot of money and my husband took a much lower job, we have never regretted our decision. Our daughter in Kelowna needed us badly and we have been a great help to her.

Should we ask God for signs? I have only asked the once as far as I can remember and God did give us a sign. The few times it is mentioned in the Bible people asked for an important reason. I wouldn't ask God for signs every day, but I think once in a while it is a good idea.

No comments: