Friday, July 20, 2012

Big Picture/Small Picture.


Someone who has a chronic illness told me they wished life could be the way it was before. She had years of happiness; a job, money and friends. All that is gone now. Why couldn't she be happy like that again?

I told her I had years like that too. The years my girls were young were my happiest. My husband and I were healthy and strong. We had good times camping and hiking. Those days are gone for me also. My husband has a chronic illness, I have a mental illness and my dear grandson has died.

I said, "You are looking at the 'Big Picture'. You now have to look at the small joys of life. Didn't we laugh and have fun when we were watching some cooking shows? Didn't we have a great time playing Scrabble? Didn't we enjoy watching that crazy 'Green Lantern' movie?

When life has gone south - it is the small joys of life that can keep us happy. Ask God for that mindset. And  reading the Bible, gaining strength, hope and happiness from God is the way to that mindset. I can then look at the even 'Bigger Picture' of God's kingdom and the life I will have there one day. I can see life from God's perspective. This is the 'hope' that the Bible speaks of; the hope of another life with eternal happiness and peace.

4 comments:

betty-NZ said...

I couldn't agree more with your post, Belle. We tend to overlook the little things that bring joy to our lives.
Sometimes, my problem is the exact opposite--when little things make me crazy, I have to remember that I know God sent me here and He will see me through. The big picture puts things in perspective, too.

Desiray said...

Love your post we so do forget the times we had with them.. and though we have some sad memories everything is for a season in our life...And we can only get through it with His help. We have to see thing through His eyes and once we do that than it won't be so painful for us.

Thank you Belle how was your weekend? Mine was great....did allot of resting I was so tired and I just rested all day yesterday...

Anonymous said...

I grew up Catholic, but I'm really kinda more agnostic these days. I wouldn't be surprised in the end if there is or isn't a God. I'm not saying I disagree with believers, I'm just saying I have no proof either way... Though I feel comfortable in that, as I tend to thing that if God were real, he'd be OK with me not knowing, otherwise he'd have given me the faith and/or proof my soul is looking for.

That said, I do believe there's definitely something, something more than we can explain. Something we're not really meant to understand.

When things seem to mount and rise up against me, I do tend to look at that for comfort, the fact that there's so much I don't understand, so much that perhaps someday will be explained, and when that day comes, these things that are getting me down won't matter in the least.

I look around at pictures of nature and animals, and children, and see that something in all of it. Perhaps that can be considered "God".

Anonymous said...

*tend to thinK