Friday, September 14, 2012

Love for Those Who Attack Us.

"And this is my prayer; that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ." 
Philippians 1:9-10

I was reading today about the attack on our embassy and now riots in the Muslim world because of a movie one man made. I think to myself, "They are judging all of us by what one man has done." Then I thought, "It was easy for me to judge all Muslims by what a few did on September 11.

Our minds seem to generalize everything. My sister told me that is a defense mechanism - we find out a lion can kill so we believe all lions will kill - which is true. With people it is different. We are not to judge and condemn people; we are commanded to love them even when they do evil. Perhaps this is the hardest lesson to learn from God.

New International Version (©1984)
"But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked." Luke 6:35

2 comments:

betty-NZ said...

Sometimes, that is sooooo hard to do. But, it's a command so we must obey whether we like it or not.

Belle said...

Yes. It is hard, but it helps us not only our enemies. Jesus did it when he was crucified so he is a great example. God Bless, Betty