Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Grumble, Mumble.

"Do all things without grumbling..."  Philippians 2:14

I laughed when I read this last night because I've become a grumbler. I grumble to God about myself and who I am. I don't like who I am. So I grumble.  I don't like my boring life. So I grumble. 

Synonyms of Grumble: complain, grouse, whine, mutter, bleat, carp, cavil, protest, make a fuss...

God must just love it when I grumble.

There is lots in the Bible on this subject. Here are a few verses:

Jesus answered and said to them, "Do not grumble among yourselves.  John 6:43

But Jesus, conscious that His disciples grumbled at this, said to them, "Does this cause you to stumble?
John 6:61

The Pharisees and their scribes began grumbling at His disciples, saying, "Why do you eat and drink with the tax collectors and sinners?"  Luke 5:30

Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.  1 Peter 4:9

Then Moses said to Aaron, "Say to all the congregation of the sons of Israel, 'Come near before the LORD, for He has heard your grumblings.'"  Exodus 16:9

“How long shall this wicked congregation grumble against me? I have heard the grumblings of the people of Israel, which they grumble against me.  Numbers 14:27

Obviously, grumbling is wrong. The opposite is giving praise to God, which is what Paul says to do continually, especially in prayer. I will ask God to work on me about this and when I feel like grumbling, I will try to praise instead.


2 comments:

Denise said...

Boy, did this hit home this morning.I need to stop grumbling about babysitting as much as We do and start praising the Lord God while I babysit.I do know and think of My Grandchildren as My true beautiful blessings.....so why do I grumble,I know the answer,because I get so tired and sometimes even bored during the long days of repeated babysitting.Oh Lord teach Me how to behave while I'm doing what You ask of Me.I need this even today.

Belle said...

Sorry I haven't answered sooner. I remember my days of babysitting other people's children and my grandchildren. It can be boring and tiring; however, it is one of the most important jobs on earth.