Monday, January 3, 2011

Is Anger a Sin?


Psalm 4:4 says "Be angry, and do not sin..." This seems to be saying it is not a sin to be angry. But what do we then do when we feel this way?

The verse goes on to say, "...ponder in your own hearts on your beds and be silent. Offer right sacrifices, and put your trust in the Lord."

When we are angry, we are not to lash out in revenge or tell people what we think. We are to go by ourselves and think about why we are angry. We are to be silent and talk with God about what happened and about our anger.

I have found this to be wonderful advice. I have done this when hurt or angry at people and God has given me peace. One thing also He has taught me. Don't tell anyone else about what happened. Be silent. Only tell God and ask for his Spirit of love and forgiveness.

Sometimes anger still gets the better of me. Sometimes if hubby gets mad at me I get mad right back. Sometimes I get mad at something someone has done and tell people. But I am working towards God's ideal for me. I am trusting him to create in me a good heart.

No comments: