Saturday, January 29, 2011

Why Do You Judge?


Jesus said, "Why do you stare from without at the very small particle that is in your brother's eye but do not become aware of and consider the beam of timber that is in your own eye?" Matthew 7:3-5

I had a good friend at church who had a young son who was a quiet, placid child. He was obedient and respectful. My friend was very critical of other parents whose children were unruly at church. She would comment negatively on their parenting skills. She couldn't understand why they didn't restrain their children.

Then my friend had a second baby. She had a little girl who was so uncontrollable my friend quit coming to church for a time. She couldn't make her child quit crying and whining. She couldn't make her obey.

I think one of the beams of timber in our eyes is judging others unfairly. And I think my friend learned not to judge other parents through this experience. Perhaps God allowed this to happen in order to teach my friend not to judge.

I was a harsh judge of others until I fell and make some huge mistakes. Those mistakes humbled me and showed me I was capable of great sin. Knowing this has kept me from judging people a lot of the time. I have not reached perfection in this area, but I am asking God to fill me with love for everyone, because where there is love there is acceptance.

3 comments:

Toyin O. said...

So true and am glad your hopefully learned her lesson:)

Clarence Heller said...

Not judging others is a very hard thing to learn. Just realizing that it's an unworthy practice is a BIG step forward. That will bring grace into your life.

Belle said...

Toyin-I'm sure she did.

Clarence- You are right. And God does show us our faults so we can become better people for him.