Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Mundane Things of Life.


I read an article by Doug Helmer called, "Walking in the Mundane." He says that although we may think people of the Bible had exciting lives, most of their lives were full of doing the mundane. He says most of Noah's life wasn't about animals coming into the ark and riding in the ark to safety. His life was spent making a living and in his spare time building a huge boat. He had to cut down trees, make them into lumber, nail it and put pitch on it. This took many years.

Helmer says, "Noah's life was a testimony to walking faithfully in the mundane. His decades as a lumberjack and shipbuilder testify to the God-honoring power the person that faithfully walks the long, hard road of obedience really has."

I often think of Jesus and how most of his life entailed being a carpenter in a small town. No one knew who he was; he seemingly did no miracles during this time, he simply worked with wood and created things for people to use. This was the mundane life God chose for Jesus until he was called to preach the good news.

I made my husband happy today by making a nice lunch and dinner for him. This is mundane work I do every day, but I've realized lately how precious my job is. I'm sure it makes God glad to see us doing mundane things with a thankful spirit and seeing that although it may seem like we do small things, they are necessary,  good and make someone happier.

9 comments:

Shelly said...

This was a special blessing for me to read, Belle. Thank you for being obedient and sharing!

Desiray said...

To me it really dosen't matter if we have a mundane life or not because anytime you are doing something for the Lord He is the one that makes it special not us. AMEN

Belle said...

Shelly- I'm so glad you liked it. I need this message because a housewife's work is truly mundane!

Desiray- He does make each life special, no matter what work we are doing we can do it for him.

Just Be Real said...

Good topic. There was a period in Jesus' life we did not hear anything about Him while He was growing up until His early thirties. I am sure He was doing mundane things as well. Thank you for sharing Belle!

BelovedBomber said...

As a homeschool mom and housewife, I often feel like I am doing the same old things day after day. Thanks for the reminder of how important the mundane must be, maybe even part of the preparation for other things.

Belle said...

Real- Hi. You are welcome and I'm glad you liked the post. Hugs to you.

Beloved- I think a lot of housewives feel that way - I know I do. Dishes, laundry, cleaning etc. But these things make a house a comfortable home which is so wonderful. I think homeschooling is one of the most important things a mother can do.

Sherry Ellis said...

Good topic. I think moms especially have to remember that all of the mundane things we do are really important in the lives of our families.

Anonymous said...

So true Belle, it is the little things we do "every day" that counts such as a smile, a friendly hello, yes the mundane is vital to our well being

Belle said...

Sherry- They are important indeed!

Rhonda- So much of our time is taken up with the mundane - it must be important!