Wednesday, March 14, 2012

These first quotes are from C.S. Lewis:


God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing.



Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ.


Part of every misery is, so to speak, the misery's shadow or reflection: the fact that you don't merely suffer but have to keep on thinking about the fact that you suffer. I not only live each endless day in grief, but live each day thinking about living each day in grief. (This was written when his wife died.)



I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.


Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.


This quote is from Carl Jung- a Christian psychiatrist.


I have treated many hundreds of patients. Among those in the second half of life - that is to say, over 35 - there has not been one whose problem in the last resort was not that of finding a religious outlook on life.


All quotes from: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/c_s_lewis.html#ixzz1ofnErDVq














4 comments:

betty-NZ said...

I was taught that there are three elements of humans: those things motivated by satan, those things motivated by God and those things motivated by self.

But now, I believe there are just human deeds motivated by God or satan and that helps me know that I don't have the power to afflict myself with anything. I just react with evil intentions or Godly intentions. It shows me where the real power lies.
I hope that makes sense :)

Just Be Real said...

C.S. Lewis is always an inspiration to read. Wonderful quotes from here you shared. Blessings to you Belle.

Belle said...

Betty- I know exactly what you mean. I've learned that myself- either God or Satan is behind what people do. I learned this in university, a place of no belief really, but in Philosophy there is an idea called, Determinism. This line of thought says we have no free will over what we do. I thought long and hard over that and saw it was right except for the freedom of will we have to give our lives to God and let him rule and lead us. The other way is just letting Satan rule us.

Real- He was a marvelous man and a great help to me in his books. Especially the one called, "The Problem of Pain." I finally made peace with God through reading that book and some others.

Anonymous said...

Belle,
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love the C.S. Lewis. quotes. My favorite, I think it's by him "God is good, but He's not safe. Whew!!! Sometimes he asks me to do some crazy things. He's not intimidated by what man thinks or says. Sometimes I still am.

Hugs,
Tammy