Friday, May 24, 2013

Why am I STILL Here?

"All the days of my appointed time will I wait." Job 14:4

Because I have to struggle daily with a mental illness, I was praying the other night about how long this has been going on and how sick I am of the whole thing. I asked God to help me understand why I am still here when I suffer so much and long to be with Him.

He answered me immediately because after I prayed I opened my study book by Charles Spurgeon and the above verse in Job is the first thing I read. Here is a short excerpt from this study:

(Fellowship with Christ) "Fellowship with Christ (in his suffering) is so honorable that the sorest sorrow is a light price by which to procure it.

Another reason for our lingering here is for the good of others. We would not wish to enter heaven till our work is done, and it may be that we are yet ordained to minister light to souls benighted in the wilderness of sin. Our prolonged stay here is doubtless for God's glory. It is for the honor of Jesus that we endure the trial of our faith with sacred joy.

Our time is fixed and settled by eternal decree. Let us not be anxious about it, but wait with patience till the gates of pearl shall open."

From: Works of Charles Spurgeon.

So, fellowship with Jesus' sufferings, the good of others and God's glory are the reasons I am still here. I was thinking this morning these are noble reasons to live and I thank God for helping me to go on in life with joy in my heart.

3 comments:

Just Be Real said...

Wonderful and encouraging post Belle. Glad He revealed this to you and you shared. Hugs.

Unknown said...

I think once a person develops a deep relationship with Christ they no longer question their purpose ...

Belle said...

Hello friends. Thanks so much for coming by. I may have believed in my head there was a reason for being here when I didn't want to be, but after I read that bit by Spurgeon, my heart believed it.