Friday, June 11, 2010

Are You the One?

John the Baptist was in prison. While there, doubts came into his mind about Jesus. He sent two of his friends to ask Jesus, "Are you the Expected One, or do we look for someone else?" Luke 7:19

Earlier, John had told the people that Jesus was the Messiah. He had seen the Holy Spirit, in the form of a dove, rest on Jesus after he had baptized him. He said to the people, "I myself have seen, and have testified that this is the Son of God. "What changed John's mind? Why was he so unsure now?

Jesus didn't answer the question immediately. He simply began working with the people. Afterwards, he went to John's friends and said, "Go to John and tell him what you have seen. The blind can see, the lame can walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised and the poor have the good news preached to them."
Then Jesus added, "Blessed is he who does not take offence at me." Luke 7:22,23

How could John, or us for that matter, take offence at Jesus? Why did he now think that Jesus may not be the Messiah? I believe it was because Jesus was not acting the way John thought the Messiah would act. The Jewish people thought the Messiah would overthrow the Romans and become a King bringing prosperity and justice with him. But Jesus wasn't doing this. Even after Jesus had died and risen his followers believed this. They asked him, "Lord, is it at this time you are restoring the kingdom to Isreal?" Acts 1:6

Jesus told the people, "My kingdom is not of this world," but many did not understand. Some did understand and left him. They wanted a King, not a servant, which is what Jesus said about himself.

We also can take offence at God and Jesus when they don't do what we think they should do. We ask, "Why does God allow such suffering? Why does he allow me to go through this? Why does he let evil people rule in some nations?" And we are offended. I was angry at God for some years, but believe me, it gets tiresome. I finally came back to him and read every book I could find on why He allows suffering. Gradually, I came to understand. I have slowly, very slowly, learned to accept life the way it is and not how I want it to be. I hope this acceptance and understanding stays in my heart forever, for I do not trust myself. But I remember what I thought I heard God say to me when I returned to him. "Don't worry. I can take anything you can dish out."

2 comments:

Liz said...

I find it interesting that Jesus didn't expect John to demonstrate blind faith, instead he offered empirical evidence. "Tell John what you have seen." He also tells Thomas, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed?" Touch, sight, empirical evidence. He also told Thomas, "Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed." I wish Jesus would offer us empirical evidence instead of expecting blind faith.

And what is this vague blessing we get for demonstrating blind faith? Just curious.

Belle said...

I have read that blessed means happy. So, happy are those who don't need empirical evidence. They will be happy because they have come to God.
As for empirical evidence, I have seen it in my own life with dreams God has given me, the perfection of nature and the knowledge in my heart that God is God and he loves me.