Friday, June 4, 2010

Fear

"When I am afraid I will put my trust in you." Psalm 56:3

What am I afraid of? Many things, but mainly the future. The past is over, and I can't do anything about it, but the future? I always think I can do plenty; maybe if I worry enough things will be alright. Maybe I can arrange things, maybe I can find an easy answer, maybe I can bug God a million times so he will do things my way.

But can I make sure no one in my family gets sick, hurt or dies? Can I make sure my grandson gets a job, pays his rent and stays out of trouble? Can I make everyone love God and be happy? Nope, I can't.

But these are the kinds of things I worry about. Everyone has obstacles in their walk with God and mine is being filled with fear instead of trust in him.

I am slowly learning to leave things with God. One thing that helps me is picturing a person or problem standing before the throne of God. I say, "This person (or problem) belongs to you. I know I need to leave them with you." This image helps me realize God's power and kingship over all things. When I do this I feel a peace and trust I didn't have before.

No comments: