Sunday, June 3, 2012

Why Did God Destroy Sodom?


God was visiting at Abraham's home. He had just eaten a meal with him and told him he was going to have a son next year. God rose up to leave and then said to himself, "Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do?" God decided he would tell Abraham why he had come down to earth.

"The outcry of Sodom and Gomorrah is indeed great, and their sin is exceedingly grave. I will go down now, and see if they have done entirely according to its outcry, which has come to me; and if not, I will know."

Since the Bible says over and over that God knows and sees everything, why would God say he had come to see if what he had heard was true? I believe he came down to show us that he is a righteous judge and will only do what he has to do to help the world. Some people are so evil they have to be put away from society, the Sodomites were people like this.

What outcry had God heard that he would come down himself? If the Sodomites treated everyone the way they treated the angels who came to visit, then there would have been a great outcry from the strangers and aliens who passed through Sodom. The families of people they harmed may have asked God to intervene.

In Ezekiel 16:49-50 God says, "Behold, this was the guilt of you sister Sodom; she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it."

The men of Sodom were not homosexuals, they were rapists. There is a huge difference between the two. These men were violent and obviously liked to hurt people. They were harming people who had innocently walked into town. What if this happened in your city? What would the government do? I think the National Guard might be called in and there would be a curfew. People would be arrested and go to jail.

Sometimes God has to step in and stop evil from continuing. I trust God that he knows what he is doing. He told Abraham he would not destroy the city if only ten good people lived there, but he did not find ten. He found one: Lot, Abraham's nephew. The angels took hold of him and his daughters and wife and dragged them out of Sodom in order to save their lives.

5 comments:

Just Be Real said...

Good lesson today Belle. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

Desiray said...

The people there was just wicked and disobedient to God...and you know if we don't get it right we too just might find ourselves us like them...That is why we must continue to pray for AMERICA

BelovedBomber said...

Don't you just love how God visited Abraham's home? I love it...I would love for God to come dine with me in human form...I know, just a fun thought. Someday we will dine together...until then His presence is with me. Thanks Belle!

Sherry Ellis said...

Those people got what they had coming to them. You can't treat each other so badly and not expect to have consequences.

Belle said...

I would love to have God come for dinner, although I'm a terrible cook! Yes, those people had to die for the good of the world. They were very wicked. It is a sad thing. Blessings and hugs to you all.