Thursday, April 12, 2012

Augustine


"Love, and then do what you please." Saint Augustine.

I take this to mean that if we have God's love in our heart we will be pleased to do good. "God is love," the Bible says. Love only does what is good.

Human love is not perfect however. I know I indulged my children sometimes because I loved them. I have loved men who mistreated me. I love chocolate, even though it makes me sick.

Love. It's a complicated thing. God's love is so far above and beyond human love; all we can do is pray he will fill us with it every day.

Someone once called Jesus "good". Jesus said, "No one is good but God alone."(Mark 10:18) He was trying to tell this man that in ourselves there is nothing good. Not truly, purely good. Without God we can love, but not perfectly - not in the right way. Our selfishness always gets in the way.

If we want true love in our hearts - it must come from God.


3 comments:

Just Be Real said...

Slowly God's love in penetrating my heart. Thank you Belle for sharing. Blessings.

BelovedBomber said...

The love of God is unconditional and unlike anything I have experienced! I am so grateful for it! Blessings to you Belle!

Belle said...

Good morning and blessings to you also!