Monday, April 30, 2012


I'm reading the book of Jeremiah and it has been such a help to me the last few weeks. When I read of Jeremiah's life of being a prophet and all he went through to speak the word of God and warn the people it humbles me. The Kings and most of the people wouldn't listen to him, burned his writings and threw him in prison yet Jeremiah kept obeying and living for God.

Once, near the beginning of his ministry he was complaining to God about the prosperity and oppression of the wicked. God spoke strongly to Jeremiah, telling him he must be strong. He said:

"If you have raced with men on foot and they have worn you out, how can you compete with horses? If you stumble in safe country, how will you manage in the thickets by the Jordan?


Yahweh rebukes Jeremiah's impatience, showing him by two proverbial sayings, that there were still greater trials of faith in store for him. Prosperous wickedness is after all a mere ordinary trial, a mere "running with the footmen;" he will have to exert far greater powers of endurance.

And if in the land ... - Rather, "and in a land of peace thou art secure; but how wilt thou do amid the pride of Jordan?" if thou canst feel safe only where things are tranquil, what wilt thou do in the hour of danger? The "pride of Jordan" is taken to, mean the luxuriant thickets along its banks, famous as the haunt of lions (compare Jeremiah 49:19Jeremiah 50:44Zechariah 11:3). What will the prophet do when he has to tread the tangled maze of a jungle with the lions roaring round him?

If small things disturb our faith - what will we do when worse things befall us? I'm glad I have the example of Jeremiah; I know it will help me throughout my life.

6 comments:

Desiray said...

THe book of Jeremiah is a humbling book for sure...no wonder they called him the weeping prophet he wept for the sins of the people when they refuse to listen to God.

Belle said...

Hello Desiray - Yes, he was a man of sorrows but also one whom God spoke to directly. That must have been awesome!

BelovedBomber said...

I also love Jeremiah! I love that God knew Him and called Him before he was born despite his shortcomings. Our faith often feels like a ladder...one step at a time and eventually we reach the high places. Thankss for sharing!

Heidi said...

Amen, what a great example in Jeremiah. Increase my Faith Lord! Blessings!

Shelly said...

Jeremiah is a terrific one to look to when life becomes difficult. I find myself reading from that book more than most of the others in the Old Testament.

It's good to have you back, my friend!

Just Be Real said...

Belle, great post with some great insight. Hugs to you my friend.