Sunday, February 10, 2013

David in the Wilderness.


Photo by: Jastrow

My previous post was about being in the wilderness as we learn about God or are tested by him. This morning, I was reading about David and remembered he also had a wilderness period. He was chased by King Saul who wanted to kill David because God had chosen David to be the next king instead of Saul's son. Also, Saul was jealous of David's popularity with the people.

David had to run away from his city, his family and friends. He had to live in caves and outdoors with others like him who were running from trouble. He did this for 20 years. Imagine 20 years of running for your life, living off the land and going from place to place to find someplace to hide.

David wrote about this period in many of the Psalms. Here are only a few verses.

"Deliver me from  my enemies, O my God; set me on high, away from those who rise up against me... For behold they have set an ambush for my life... Psalm 59:1-3

He ends this Psalm as he usually does, with thanksgiving and praise. "But as for me, I shall sing of your strength. Yes, I shall joyfully sing of your loving kindness in the morning. For you have been my stronghold and a refuge in the day of my distress." Psalm 59:16

Through all these years David did not leave God. He didn't say, "If God can let this happen to me then I want nothing to do with him!" No. He clung to God, even though he may not have understood why he had to suffer and why it had to last such a long time. David did make many mistakes - but he persevered and stayed faithful to the only true God.

David had his greatest fall when he was finally King of Israel. He had money, many wives and power. That is when he fell and committed adultery and murder. He could handle adversity, but not prosperity. His wilderness years drove him to God and deepened his relationship with Him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post and blog! In our distress we know God is the only one to make a way out when it seems like there isn't a way out! This has encouraged me! Blessings!

Just Be Real said...

Wonderfully put Belle. Blessings.

Belle said...

Ashley- Nice to meet you and I'm glad what I wrote encouraged you.

Real- Hi there! Thanks and God bless.