Monday, July 8, 2013

"I'm Not Good Enough."

"Blessed are the poor in Spirit." Matthew 5:3

Do you feel you could never be a Christian because you are too bad and have done too many evil or mean things? Do you feel you could never be good enough to be a Christian?

I have had people say this to me. I've had family members tell me God couldn't love them because they have done terrible things. They know God loves what is good, therefore they believe God couldn't love them because they are bad.

Actually, people who say these things are at the door of salvation. They are closer than a well-behaved person who does not pray or rely on God. They are standing at the gates of heaven.

Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor in Spirit." He meant people are fortunate to know they are bad and have done bad things. He meant these people are fortunate to know they cannot change and become better.

Jesus also said, "Without me, you can do nothing." (John 15:5)  Nothing is nothing. We can't do one simple good thing without Jesus helping us do it. All good comes from God; therefore any good we do is from Him.

Jesus told a story of a man who was poor in Spirit. While a teacher of the law stood apart and told God all the good things he was doing, there was a tax collector near him who prayed, "God be merciful to me, for I am a sinner."

Jesus said the tax collector went home forgiven and saved. The teacher of God's law did not. He wasn't poor in Spirit. He was proud of all the good he did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very true and lovely post Denise! A cool story too is I sometimes think I've done so many wrong things that God wants revenge. Even the Lord gave me an image of Him holding out His hand and it sad forgiveness on it, I wouldn't grab it because I felt low of myself.
But we know God's love is deeper than the sea, amen.
Hugs and praying for you :)

Belle said...

Thank you, Ashley. God bless you.