Thursday, November 7, 2013

The More You Hear - The More You Grow.

Jesus said, "Pay close attention to what you hear. The closer you listen, the more understanding you will be given--and you will receive even more. To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them."  Mark 4:24-25

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

Take heed what you hear: diligently attend to it, seek to understand it, and lay it up in your minds and memories, that it may be of use to you in time to come, and you may be useful in communicating it to others. 
"With what measure ye mete, it shall be measured unto you"; a common proverb among the Jews, used on various occasions, and to different purposes; See Gill on Matthew 7:2. Here it seems to intimate, that if the disciples carefully hearkened to what they heard from Christ, and studiously labored to understand it, and faithfully dispensed it to others, in return, a larger measure, and greater degree of spiritual knowledge, would be bestowed upon them: for it follows, and 
"...unto you that hear, shall more be given"; that is, that hear so as to understand, keep, and make a good use of what they hear, more shall be communicated to them; they shall have an increase of knowledge in the doctrines of grace, and mysteries of the Gospel. 

What do we hear? What do we listen to? Compare the hours you spend watching TV to spending with God in study and prayer. Who wins? 

For me it was the TV. But I heard a sermon by Jeff Miller  https://bible.org/byauthor/25/jeff_miller . He said the disciples gave up everything to follow Jesus. Everything. Then Jim asked, "What does God want you to give up? He asks everyone to give up something." I thought and prayed about it and felt that television was something i should not watch unless it was a nature show or documentary etc. I've been watching shows that have violence and sex in them. I figured it was wrong, but I didn't think it was a big deal until last night. I was convicted these shows were bad for me. My family watches these shows together - so I'll be on the outside - but that's okay.

My sister says she will play a few games with me each evening and that will be great. She understands why I'm giving up on fiction shows. I have been spending more time with God lately and this will give me even more time. Naturally, I have some favorite shows to turn away from, but I know God will fill the void with great and good things.

No comments: