Saturday, September 20, 2014

Abundant Suffering.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

For as we share abundantly in Christ’s sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.

If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer."  2 Corinthians 1: 3-6

"We share abundantly in Christ's sufferings..." I've been through suffering this past week. When I read these verses this morning I felt comforted, partly because I do feel God comforting but also because Paul says it is natural to share sufferings with Christ. 

The Bible speaks about suffering a lot. Yet, when I was growing up going to church and later in my adult life, preachers didn't dwell on suffering. It was all about how with Christ in your life all will be well. So, this is what I grew up with and honestly, this is no help when you are going through hard times.

Everyone goes through hard times, Christian and non-Christian but the difference for the Christian is we go to God for help and comfort. I am so happy to be a Christian - so very happy to talk with God about everything. I pray that those of you who don't know God yet will give him a chance.

No comments: