Friday, September 5, 2014

I Am With You Always.




When his friends were frightened, Jesus said, "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid."  Matthew 14:27

If we remember Jesus is with us every moment, that thought can give us courage. When we know the God of the universe is loving us, helping us and working for us, then we can take heart and his presence gives us strength.

Just before Jesus was to be crucified, he told his friends he would be leaving them. They felt full of sadness and discouragement. They had been with Jesus day and night for three years; they thought he would become the King of Israel. Now he said he was leaving.

“I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you.
But now I am going to Him who sent Me; and none of you asks Me, 'Where are You going?'
But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart."  John 16:4-6

Jesus was a strong and steady leader to his followers. He always knew the right thing to do and say. I can imagine they felt they would be without a compass and anchor if he went away. But they were wrong; Jesus would be just as close to them after he left.

"But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you."  John 16:7

Jesus did leave the world physically, but through the Holy Spirit he is with each one of us every moment. 
As he left for heaven, Jesus said,  "I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Matt. 28:20  In that promise we can all take courage.

















No comments: