Thursday, April 7, 2011

Doubt


"If you lack wisdom, ask God who gives to all generously and without reproach. But you must ask in faith without any doubting..." James 1:5

James also goes on to say not to expect anything from the Lord if you doubt.

James is here talking about asking for wisdom. We know this is God's will for all of us. In the verses immediately before this he is explaining about having joy in the midst of troubles. We need wisdom to understand this.

If we are praying to get a certain job, we should ask that God's will be done and then accept whatever happens. But in asking for wisdom, goodness or faith, we know these things are his will for us. That is why James says not to doubt. If we do, we are saying, "I don't know if God will really do this for me."

1 comment:

betty said...

And I think we should ask for the wisdom that James describes in Chapter 3 (I think around verse 18). I want that wisdom indeed!!

betty