Monday, April 4, 2011

Pressed by Affliction.

Today, I read a devotional taken from the book, "My Utmost for His Highest" at http://www.utmost.org

"We will be scattered, not into service but into the emptiness of our lives where we will see ruin and barrenness, to know what internal death to God’s blessings means. Are we prepared for this? It is certainly not of our own choosing, but God engineers our circumstances to take us there. Until we have been through that experience, our faith is sustained only by feelings and by blessings. But once we get there, no matter where God may place us or what inner emptiness we experience, we can praise God that all is well. That is what is meant by faith being exercised in the realities of life."

This quotation spoke to me. My faith used to be sustained by feelings and blessings and when darkness and emptiness came to me, my faith failed. I didn't understand how God could allow such suffering to me and people I loved.

I've learned a lot since then. I understand what it means to praise God even in suffering. I realize what Joyce Meyer means when she says, "Love God for who He is, not for what He can do for you." I understand this world is encompassed in a war of good against evil, and we must not let the evil discourage us, but keep our eyes on Jesus.

Jesus said, "In the world, you will have tribulation (closely pressed, squeezing, in the Greek), but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

When nothing in our lives is right, at least we know that God is right and be grateful for Him overcoming the world.

3 comments:

SueH said...

I can agree with this!

Walking through lonely 'valleys' when God seems distant and silent, I have to remember that I don't walk alone. The One who created mountains (and valleys!) is walking right beside me - He's been there before and He knows the way out.

SueH I refuse to go quietly!

betty said...

I liked what Joyce Meyer said about appreciating God for who he is, not what he can do for us. We need to remember he does know what is best and even in the midst of troubles/trials, he is walking alongside us :)

betty

Belle said...

Sue- In some of the Psalms the writer asks, "Where are you Lord?" and then ends trusting in God even though he doesn't see him. The Psalms help me a lot.

Corgi- I like to picture God beside me during the hard times.