Monday, August 26, 2013

The Secret of Contentment.

Paul wrote:

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Philippeans 4:11-13

I used to think it would be easy to be content when you are not in need and living in plenty, but I was wrong. No matter how much people have they can still want more. They can be discontented. Even Lucifer became discontented in heaven itself! But Paul had found the secret of being content in any situation.

I'm sure Paul wasn't born with this capacity. He must have learned this through experience as we all have to. For myself, I find I can be content for a few days and then discontented thoughts come in to tempt me again. I think, "I wish I could do this," or "I wish I had that," or, "I'm bored with my life." In fact, I have even thought, "I hate my life." 

So, contentment is a struggle for me. Other people have other temptations but that one nags at me. When it does, I pray, "God, make me content with my life." And he does, until the thoughts come again and I pray again. For I have found it to be true what Paul said in verse 13, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." 

When I read these verses this morning, I had been feeling bored and at sea. I then remembered how Paul had been beaten, stoned, and imprisoned. He must have been bored in prison, perhaps cold and hungry. He wrote letters, and he was allowed visitors, but surely time must have dragged. Yet, he found the secret of contentment - through Jesus.



No comments: