Sunday, January 25, 2015

Fly Away From Here.



There are a lot of songs and poems written with words describing a burning heart; but I never actually feel it physically until tonight.

I was listening to a song by Sarah McLachlan. It is called, "In the Arms of An Angel."

I was half-way through the song when I started to think about my grandson who died 4 years ago. I realized the words fit him and his life perfectly; and also his death.

As I listened to the end of the song I felt my heart burning within my chest.

After a few seconds of this, I said to God, "Lord, take this burden from my heart. It is too much for me. Take this burden of Craig's death." Immediately, the burning left. I was crying, but the grief abated.

I remembered the verse that says, "Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken."  Psalm 55:22

I've noticed lately that when I say, "God, take this burden," he takes it. He is stronger than I am and he can carry what I cannot.

I looked up the song online and found that Sarah McLachlan had written it about Jonathan Melvoin, the keyboard artist with the Smashing Pumpkins. He had died of an overdose. Craig died from drinking too much and sleeping with his face down on a plush sofa. He suffocated.

No wonder the song moved me. There is deep pain and yet comfort from God in the lyrics. There is one other thing. The day Craig died, when I went to the house where he lay and the police wouldn't let us in, I saw in my mind's eye that an angel was standing beside him as he died. He wasn't alone; God was with him and took him from a life of pain to a life forever with Himself.



Here are the lyrics to, "In the Arms of An Angel."

Sarah Mclachlan – Angel Lyrics

Spend all your time waiting
For that second chance,
For a break that would make it okay.

There's always some reason
To feel not good enough,
And it's hard, at the end of the day.

I need some distraction,
Oh, beautiful release.
Memories seep from my veins.

And maybe empty,
Oh, and weightless, and maybe
I'll find some peace tonight.

In the arms of the angel,
Fly away from here,
From this dark, cold hotel room,
And the endlessness that you fear.
You are pulled from the wreckage,
Of your silent reverie.
You're in the arms of the angel,
May you find some comfort here.

So tired of the straight line,
And everywhere you turn,
There's vultures and thieves at your back.

The storm keeps on twisting.
Keep on building the lies
That you make up for all that you lack.

It don't make no difference,
Escape one last time.
It's easier to believe in this sweet madness,
Oh, this glorious sadness,
That brings me to my knees.

In the arms of the angel,
Fly away from here,
From this dark, cold hotel room,
And the endlessness that you fear.
You are pulled from the wreckage,
Of your silent reverie.
You're in the arms of the angel,
May you find some comfort here.

You're in the arms of the angel,
May you find some comfort here.
Songwriters: CUNNIFF, JILL/GLASER, GABRIELLE/SCHELLENBACH, KATHERINE A
Angel lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

No comments: