Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Do the Poor Have to Act Righteous Before We Help Them?

I've read a few posters and articles online concerning giving to the poor. These posters usually say something about how if a person won't work, or if they smoke and drink, then Christians shouldn't help them.

I've thought this over a few times. I have given to people who I know are probably going to waste the money. I talked with God about this last week and here is what I believe he said to me, "I give and give and most of what I give is wasted. But I still give."

That's good enough for me. And I can see it all the time! He gives me money and I buy an un-needed scarf, earrings, candy, movie, picture frame, craft kit, soda pop, an extra purse, another pair of shoes, another pair of jeans, another blouse when I already have 15.  All the money I have spent on things I don't need could feed a village.

Jesus once said, "If you have two coats, give one away." Plain language. I've tried to do that with coats. If I get a new winter coat, I give my old one away. But, of course he didn't mean just coats. He meant everything. I keep too much; I don't give enough.

My mother knew a man at her church in California. He was very wealthy. He gave away 90% of what he made. This man is a beautiful example of what a rich man can do. But most of us can do more than what we do. C.S. Lewis said to give until it hurts. That's when you are really giving.

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Jesus healed and touched many who were still sinners. I mean, that's who we are supposed to reach out to. How can they ever change if they don't see the love and kindness of God?

Belle said...

I agree wholeheartedly. I've just seen so many Christians say we shouldn't help those who smoke etc. I think that is wrong. I smoke myself, but I know God loves me just as I am.

My sister has a friend who is homeless. He went up to a church picnic at a park and asked for a sandwich. They said no, because he was smoking. This is so wrong.