Friday, August 28, 2015

A River of Love.

"Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst."  John 6:35

"Whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life."  John:4:14

I read John 6 this morning and I thought about whether I hunger or thirst for anything. I don't, as far as I know. I used to hunger and thirst for love, but I have found that in Jesus. I looked for love from men, but men are fallible human beings who cannot love the way we want them to love. That is too much to ask for from any man or woman.

In our North American culture, we are taught from childhood to seek love from someone. And of course, God has put within each of us a desire for love. Unfortunately, our culture tells us, "You can find the love of your life right here on planet earth!"  Um, no. We can find human love alright, if we are blessed, but Jesus is the only one who can be the love of our life. Once you really believe and accept he loves you, just the way you are; that he loves your company, he loves to talk with you, he "delights in you," as the Bible says; only then do you never thirst or hunger for anything else in this world. He is enough.

River of Love by Don Moen

Thirsty for more of You More of Your Spirit and truth Wash me from all my sin Fill me with Your Spirit again You're the River of Love Flowing with grace and mercy Flooding my soul Filling my heart with peace O River of Love Like streams in the desert Giver of life Giving You life and love To set me free Heal me and I'll be healed Save me and I will be saved You've filled me with songs of praise Forever I will sing of Your grace If anyone is thirsty let him come on in When you drink the living water You will never thirst again Giving Your life and love To set me free Giving Your life and love To set me free.

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's why I've never liked the term soul mate. Only God can satisfy our soul.

Belle said...

Yes, you are right, Alex.