Saturday, August 22, 2015

Troubled Hearts.



Photo by: Wingchi Poon

 On the eve of his arrest, Jesus told his disciples, "Tonight all of you will desert me. For the Scriptures say, 'God will strike the Shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.' Matthew 26:31

Jesus also told the disciples he must now go away. Peter asked to go with him and said he would die for him. Jesus answered, "Will you lay down your life for Me? Truly, truly, I say to you, a rooster will not crow until you deny Me three times. John 13:38

What is amazing is what Jesus said next, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe in Me as well."  John 14:1  Then he told them how he was going to prepare a place for them in heaven and would come back to get them.

So, the disciples were going to deny Jesus and run from him because they were afraid to be arrested too.  And what does our God say about this?  "Let not your hearts be troubled."  In other words, "Don't worry about it. I'm not worried about it."

Today, I felt discouraged because of my lack of love and patience. It was all inside my heart; I didn't say or do anything wrong. But I knew, and Jesus knew what was in my heart. I guess there may be Christians that don't have such a hard battle with themselves. I'm not one of them.

You hear preachers say, "Give your life to Jesus and you will have peace."  Well, yes, you will have peace for awhile, but then the doubts come and the bad thoughts come and you wonder where the peace went. Preachers don't talk about that. They make it sound like you will have no spiritual problems after you are converted.

So, if anyone out there is like me, take heart. "Let not your hearts be troubled." God says to confess our sins, he wipes them out and we start all over again. I believe him. For me it is a daily thing. But that's okay. I say to him, "I can't do anything to be righteous; you will have to do it all." I know he will. I also have to take my eyes off myself and look at Jesus' life, death and resurrection. That will always encourage me.

"And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns."  Phil. 1:6



No comments: