Sunday, June 12, 2011

Empty Places.


"Now when an unclean spirit goes out of a man, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, and does not find it. Then it says, 'I will return to my house from which it came,' and when it comes, it finds it unoccupied, swept and put in order."
Matthew 12:43,44

I used to wonder what these verses meant, but I've read a few explanations and it is very interesting."Just cleaning up one's life without filling it with God leaves plenty of room for Satan to move in." This was in my Bible commentary.

 What are "waterless places"?  Unclean spirits go there. I would guess it is a place not watered by Jesus' blood; places not watered by the Holy Spirit. It is "unoccupied" by God.

I have also read that we cannot be lazy Christians and let the world constantly fill our minds with trivia. We must actively seek to fill our minds with the good things in God's word. We must choose to think good things instead of evil. There is always something in our minds. Our minds are never quiet. Let's fill it with God.

4 comments:

betty said...

amen, let us fill our minds and hearts with God indeed!

My Bible commentary says about the same thing, it also says "Ridding our lives of sin is a first step. We must also take the second step, filling our lives with God's word and Holy Spirit (unfilled and complacent people are easy targets for Satan).

So I definitely think we need to stay in the word indeed!!

betty

Belle said...

Yes! We don't want unclean spirits that's for sure!

betty-NZ said...

It's so true that being a Christian is a constant process with constant choices.

Belle said...

Yes, every day is a day of learning.