Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Adultery.


Jesus said, "You have heard it said, 'Thou shalt not commit adultery.' But I say to you everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

I think it would be best for me to talk about my own struggle with lust. I rarely have had trouble with lusting after a man, but there have been a few times. When I watched the James Bond movie starring Daniel Craig, I did feel lust towards him and it surprised me. I told my daughter, "I can't watch that movie again." She asked why and I told her, "That Daniel Craig turns me on!" So, for myself if I see anyone or thing that triggers lust in my heart I want to turn away and not look at it.

I worked with a man once who liked me and wanted to have an affair. My marriage was unhappy at the time. I was tempted but felt I couldn't quit my job. So, I prayed a lot about this and he was moved to a different area of the workplace. Also, God did take away the feelings I had for him. Still, now that I look back I believe I should have quit my job and trusted God would give me another one. It would have been a quicker and better way.

I do feel sorry for men because I think they have a much harder time with lust than most women. But I know God's grace is sufficient for everything and He can give us all strength of mind and purpose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Belle, as I read your post on adultery..I think what is it that makes "just the looking as guilty as the actual deed"...and I go back to what I have been taught...our imagination touches before we ever perform a deed...this is why the Children of Israel where seenas adulteress...b/c with their imagination they touch with their soul ..their imagination, their affection, their memory, their conscience and their reason..all five senses were guilty of "adultery" before the deed is ever committed...how we long for an affair with the things of this world too many times...adultery is not just about "that man"....wink wink....adultery = unfaithful = betrayal ..how many times have I been unfaithful in the things of God....I say I love you God and the go forth and do that which he hates: I guess you can see that your post has me "thinking deep"....LOL thanks Belle!

betty said...

Good thoughts, Belle! I know in my younger days I had more trouble with lust than when I started to take a stand with making sure my mind didn't go down those roads it sure is a lot easier. Never tempted to have an affair (besides I couldn't pull it off, which is probably a good thing). But you are right, if we pray and are paying attention, God always gives us a way out of temptation, we just have to take it!

betty

Belle said...

Rhonda- I know God considered it adultery against him when Israel worshiped other Gods. And yes, in a general sense, putting anything above God is committing adultery. Thanks.

Betty- Yes, making sure our minds don't go down those roads is the best way. And with God's strength that becomes a habit.