Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Beatitudes: Being a Good Person.


"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied." Matt. 5:6

When I was a child and watched movies on our little black & white TV I was always impressed with the good people in the show. I would think, "I want to be like that: brave, honest, loving, and good."

Later, as an adult Christian I still feel the same way. When I watch The Lord of the Rings, I wonder if I could be as brave as Frodo and Samwise Gamgee. Would I die for what is right? Would my faith remain strong? I long to be a good person.

Jesus says if we desire goodness in ourselves as much as we desire a cold drink and a good meal, we will get it. He will give his goodness to us. And just as we need to drink and eat food each day, in the same way we need to ask God daily for his goodness to live in us.

After we have asked, simply believe it is true for Jesus said it was. If we stumble and fall, he will pick us up, dust us off and help us keep walking in the path of goodness. "For I am the Lord your God who holds you by your right hand. Who says to you, 'Do not fear, I will help you.' "

5 comments:

betty said...

I think if you were in that situation, Belle, you would die for what is right and I think Jesus would send his holy spirit to give you the strength to stand up for what is right, regardless of what the consequences were.

betty

Silver Strands said...

Belle, every one of your posts inspires me!

Belle said...

That makes me very happy!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Belle, thank you for stopping by so faithfully and commenting....Lust - I believe a man can be free from lust ...if a man will allow himself to be consume by God ...Lust is but a condition of the heart and if he can get a heart transplant as David prayed ...."Create in me a clean heart"...it has to be possible or David would not have prayed it ..but we also know that the LORD states, David was a man after his < God's > own heart...it is not a perm condition for it requires daily visitation at an altar of repentence to allow the Blood of Jesus morning and night to cleanse us of our filthy rags.
Isn't God great to supply such a rich ever flowing river of cleansing for us? Have a most blessed Wednesday Belle....enjoying getting to know you!

Belle said...

You are probably right about lust. I'm not a man, so I'm not sure. They say a man gets turned on immediately by sight whereas women are much different. I think we are tempted quite often to do wrong, but it is what we do with the temptation that matters. If we "toy" with it in our mind, as your blog was saying, then we sin.

It is so true we need a daily relationship with God to have a renewed heart. When David lusted after Bathsheba and then took her, he must have wandered from his commitment to God. It has always shocked me how the man who wrote the Psalms could end up doing such a thing! It is a good cautionary story.

Have a wonderful day too, and I am so glad to get to know you also!