Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Persecuted.

"Blessed are those who are persecuted for doing right, for the kingdom of God is theirs." Matt. 5:10

This is where God's mind and the human mind are vastly different. Would we say someone is blessed for being persecuted? No, we would probably say, "Oh, how terrible for them."

Good people of God have been persecuted since the son of Adam was murdered. His brother Cain killed him, "And why did he murder him? Because his own actions were evil and his brother's were righteous." 1John 3:12

If we look at Cain and Abel, Jesus says that Abel was blessed (fortunate). I can see why this would be so. Which person in the story would you rather be?

The Romans killed the Christians in the arenas. The Catholics and Protestants killed each other in the dark ages. The Nazis killed Jews and Christians. Even today people kill in the name of God. And just as God did not save Abel's life, so he did not save millions of people through the ages.

Jesus went on to say, "Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

I have to say I've had trouble understanding how a person could feel happy when persecuted. I honestly don't think Jesus felt happy the day of his death. So joy and gladness have to be more than feelings. I looked up the Greek and found a few translations of these words that make the above verse understandable for me.

Rejoice, and be exceeding glad - Regard it as a great privilege thus to be persecuted and to suffer - a thing not to be mourned over, but as among the chief blessings of life. 
http://bible.cc/matthew/5-12.htm

5463 xaírō (from the root xar-, "favorably disposed, leaning towards" and cognate with 5485 /xáris, "grace") – properly, to delight in God's grace ("rejoice") – literally, to experience God's grace (favor), be conscious (glad) for His grace
http://concordances.org/greek/5463.htm

Speaking of Jesus, Paul says, "...for the joy that was set before him, he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of God. Consider him who endured such hostility from sinful men; so you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:2

To remember what Jesus went through, to look toward heaven and to have the mind of God in order to see how he sees; that is what is needed to have joy (regard it as a privilege) in persecution.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post! I am so thankful for a Saviour that endured such suffering for my redemption and the those that suffered and died to liberate the Gospel...

Belle said...

I am also very thankful. Your blog was a help to me today. Since I had trouble with this verse, looking up the Greek meanings helped explain it. Blessings!

Kathy said...

I believe there are no mistakes - I needed to read this today. So glad that I came across your blog today and will now be following you. In our little community there are so many confused people and we try to demonstrate God's love to them and sometimes it does get difficult. I need to be reminded it is such a privilege to serve our LORD.
Thank you and God bless,
Kathy

Belle said...

It is so nice to meet you, Kathy. I'll come on over and follow also. I'm glad this post helped you. It helped me too as I studied.