Friday, November 4, 2011

The Pure in Heart.



My Bible commentary says when something is pure it is unmixed with anything else. Pure gold is not mixed with any other metal. It says a heart that is pure is single-minded.

Is my heart single-minded? Is God first in my life? Is my heart pure?

When I look at myself, I don't feel pure but I try not to live by my feelings. God says I have a new heart, therefore I do have a new heart and I will give my heart to him each day and let Him change it.  The apostle John says to try to live with love so that, "...whenever our hearts condemn us, God is greater than our hearts and knows everything." 1John 3:20 And James says, "Indeed we all make many mistakes."

"Beloved, we are children of God and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is. And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure." 1 John 3:3

There is an example of God purifying hearts in our family. One of my daughters had been angry at her real father, my first husband, for years. She once told me she would never forgive him for the past. But after my grandson's death she has become more committed and closer to God. After the funeral she told her father she loved him and later she told me she has forgiven him. God purified her heart.

"And God, who knows the heart, testified to them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us. And God made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith." Acts 15:9

It seems to me our hearts are made pure by God through hope and faith, which is our trust in God and His promises. I do trust God that he is purifying my heart each day and that some wonderful day I will "see him just as He is".




3 comments:

betty said...

God does promise us that we are a new creation in Jesus, so I guess that would definitely include a purified heart! I ask him a lot of times for a heart transplant too!

I'm glad there is reconciliation and restoration in your daughter's relationship with her father.

betty

Anonymous said...

We will be < those that surrender to his furnace > will come out as pure gold ...life is the furance and as we go through the fire of trials and testings ...we shall come as as pure gold...

Belle said...

Betty- I ask him for a new heart too. I'm also very glad my daughter has reconciled with her father. He is here this weekend and all is going well.

Rhonda- I believe that also! Amen.