Sunday, January 6, 2013

An Unhurried Life.


Pastor John Ortberg received this advice from a spiritual mentor, "You must ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life. " He knew John well and perhaps knew this was a problem for him.

In his book, "The Life You've Always Wanted." Pastor Ortberg goes on to say, "Hurry is the great enemy of spiritual life in our day. Hurry can destroy our souls."

I know that when I'm in a hurry I feel upset and perhaps angry at anything that makes me late or stops me from doing what I want to get done. Whenever I break something in the kitchen (quite often) my husband says it is because I rush. I should slow down and not be in such a hurry. He is right.

When my sister moved here she noticed that most of the time I drove over the speed limit. She didn't feel comfortable. I decided she was right and started to slow down. I do feel better about driving now. I don't feel so on edge as I drive. Most people in my city speed and get angry when you do the speed limit, but I've decided I don't care. I'm going to relax when I drive.

One thing I've noticed about children - they don't usually hurry. When you go for a walk they stop to look at a rock or flower while you stand there waiting. I notice Jesus never seemed to be in a hurry. If someone wanted his attention he would stop whatever he was doing to talk with them.

Our culture is a culture of hurry and time keeping; almost everything is done by the clock. Planning ahead and not having too much on our plate would help. I guess we should do our best to not be hurried and have our peace of mind disturbed.

4 comments:

BelovedBomber said...

hurry is definitely an enemy of our spiritual life...thanks for the much needed reminder. blessings, shana

Belle said...

Hi Shana, Have a lovely day.

Sherry Ellis said...

Eliminate the hurry? Wow, that's a good trick!

Belle said...

When you have children, it would be very hard. When you are old like me it is much easier!