Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Comparing Ourselves with Each Other.



"We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves, they are not wise." 
2 Corinthians 10:12

I recently read a book by a Christian teacher. He told the story of his younger brother who went to fight in Vietnam. He came back a drug addict and mentally disturbed by what he had seen and done. When he got home, he went to church and gave his heart to God. But he was badly damaged and his life went downhill until he got a job in commercial fishing. He liked this life since it gave him some solitude. The last time his older brother talked with him he asked him how his Christian walk was going. He answered that he still believed but that living the Christian life was very hard for him. Days later he was found dead of drugs and alcohol.

The teacher said in his book how we are all different. Some of us can be used in God's ministry. Others of us can barely make it through life. He says it isn't our fault and we cannot judge or compare ourselves to others. 

I agree with that. I'm a damaged person with many mental problems. I could never be a Joyce Meyer or Billy Graham. It used to bother me that I couldn't do what others could do. It bothered me I came from abuse and a dysfunctional home. But now I don't care. I've realized I can relate to others who have the same problems as me.

The people of my old church probably think I am a lost soul since I no longer go to church due to my social phobias. I also smoke and I used to drink a lot in order to dull the pain. I think gay marriage is fine - I believe in the freedoms God gave us. We are not a theocracy - we are a democracy. I don't fit the Christian mold and that`s okay.  If I compared myself to others, I would look pretty bad - so I try to never, ever do it.

The only person I compare myself to is Jesus. I do ask myself, "What would Jesus do?" then try to do it to the best of my ability and with the grace God has given me. I don't get discouraged when I compare myself to Jesus because he is God and I am just a human being and I know he is patient and forgiving.

2 comments:

Sherry Ellis said...

We should never compare ourselves to others. We are each unique, with our own special gifts and talents!

Belle said...

I think so too, Sherry. God bless.