Saturday, January 26, 2013

"Staying Inside my Hula Hoop."




I was reading a study on Abraham by Vela Tomba. I liked how she compared our lives with hula hoops.

"Staying in my hula hoop means accepting God’s limits for who I am, where I end and another person starts. Doing what He has called me to do inside my sphere of influence—inside my hula hoop and not meddling in someone else’s hula hoop.

I can most easily stay in my hula hoop when I have the right understanding of who God is, when I trust Him, when I know Him, when I trust His loving kindness for me."  Vela Tomba

http://bible.org/seriespage/abraham-9-gen-24-25

Abraham and Sarah using Hagar to have a child was a move outside their hula hoops. They crashed into Hagar's hula hoop.

I tried thinking of times when I left my hula hoop. I went through a period of drinking a lot because I didn't trust God to help me to cope with my sadness. When I drank, my hula hoop knocked into my husband's hoop. He had a hard time coping with my drinking.

Limits: It is hard for a parent to keep out of their grown kid's hula hoops. I have sometimes meddled with my daughter's hoops. They didn't appreciate it.

I think for me that "worry" pushes me out of my hula hoop. Yesterday, I talked with my sister Liz about finding a new place to live and how hard it will be because of the money. Then I said I would leave it with God and knew He would show us what to do and help us.

Liz said, "We've had this same conversation three times. Why do you keep saying the same thing?"

I said, "My faith is weak. I start thinking about the move and the money and I get scared. Then I have to tell myself all over again that God will take care of everything." Nope, I'm not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree.

I think judging and criticising people can make their hula hoops teeter and even fall to the ground. I think we all have memories of someone doing that to us and the effect it had.

So, with the grace of God,  let's all stay in our own hula hoops!





No comments: