Sunday, March 10, 2013

Death Can Be Love.

My husband and I were talking about our grandson, Craig, who died a year and a half ago. I said something about not understanding why Craig had to die when so many other of his friends who had the same problems haven't died. My husband said, "When I pray, God says, 'Because I loved Craig. He died because I love him.' "

I have to say, that thought never crossed my mind and it gave me peace. It shows how little I know God because I rarely think that he loves people. I say it all the time, but I don't think I really believe it. When I pray for my daughters and grandchildren, I feel I have to convince God to love them as much as I do and save their souls. I've realized that deep down I don't really believe God loves me either.

I remember once Craig said to me, "God couldn't love me. I've done too many bad things." I said, "Craig, God loves you more than I do." I said it because the Bible says it, but did I really believe it? I don't think so. I feel sad about that and I've talked with God about it.

I guess in a world where people only love you when you are lovely it is hard to believe God's love. The Bible says it is an "unfailing" love. Everything in this world is conditional and it is hard to grasp this unconditional love of God. But I am trying.




6 comments:

betty-NZ said...

I have had the same experience--telling someone something that the Bible says but not really understanding the words I'm saying. I guess He knows when the lightbulb over our heads needs to go on.

Belle said...

Yes, but I seem to be such a slow learner! I'll have to be patient with myself.

BelovedBomber said...

There is a scripture in Isaiah 57:1, 2 that has always comforted me when someone young dies...I haven't dug in to a deep study, but I have to trust that God has a plan and sometimes it is to save them from what would come...It is easier to know it all and harder to actually absorb it and live it out...I often have to remind myself of the promises and that He means them for me too...Praying that God will continue to comfort you...

Belle said...

Thank you, Beloved. I will look up the verses right now. I do believe God saved Craig from something bad that lay ahead.

Anonymous said...

I too have this problem. I always ask the Lord why He loves me and why He deals with me. I cannot grasp the love of God, but I wish I could. I'm used to not feeling loved by people and them leaving me so I usually ask Jesus of He will do the same, but He tells me that I don't have to worry about that.
I remember when my great grandmother died I got pretty depressed, but I don't think it fully crossed my mind of God's love being death. It could just be God giving rest to someone who's in pain or preventing bad things or trying to bring someone to salvation. God is mysterious!
Hugs and blessings ♥

Belle said...

Hi Ashley, Thank you for sharing about your grandmother. God does love you and me, I guess we just need to keep praying to believe it.