Thursday, March 7, 2013

Difficult People.

In his book, "The Life You've Always Wanted," John Ortberg writes about dealing with difficult people.

"The ministry of bearing with one another is more than simply tolerating difficult people. It is also learning to hear God speak through them. It is learning to be "for" them. It is learning that the difficult person I have most to deal with is me."

"Bearing with them" does not require becoming best friends, but means learning to wish them well, releasing our right to hurt them back, coming to experience our common standing before the cross."

I have a "difficult" friend. But I have learned so much from her. In the middle of a conversation she will start praying for whomever we were talking about. When I was feeling very weak, she anointed my head with oil and prayed for me. I was healed when I found out I needed vitamin C. Although she is poor, when she has extra she shares with her neighbors. I won't tell you her "difficult" traits. They are minor compared with the beautiful, growing Christian that she is.

Of course, there are people who are toxic - who hurt everyone they touch. These people are more than difficult, and they are best avoided. But we can still forgive, love and pray for them by the grace Christ gives us.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Morning Belle,
I am so thankful that the Lord did not just tolerate me but Loved me unconditionally....we are called to be His Light Love and Life upon this journey of earth...when we spend time in His Presence we will absorb His Light His Love and His Life that the tolerance of others will be changed to unconditional love ....have a wonderful weekend

BelovedBomber said...

I find it so hard to be like Jesus in this area. I was studying and teaching on friendships recently and asked the ladies if Jesus treated Judas any differently...His example of washing the feet of His betrayer overwhelms me. I am thankful that sanctification is a process and He is faithful to complete what He has started. To Him be all the glory!! Many blessings!

Belle said...

Hello dear Sisters in Christ. Yes, Rhodes, only God can pour his unconditional love into our hearts. And Beloved, Jesus' great patience with people is a beautiful example for all of us. With each person in my life I have to learn understanding and patience. I have trouble with this also, as most of us do. I do believe God is able to change us and help us as you said.

Just Be Real said...

Jesus is the perfect example. Thank you Belle for sharing and your encouragement. Blessings.

Belle said...

Hi Sweetie. Thanks for your friendship.