Thursday, March 14, 2013

You Don't Need Words.



When writing about how to act towards the rulers and authorities of the ancient world, Peter wrote:

Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us. 1 Peter 2:12

 For God wants you to silence the ignorance of foolish people by doing good. 1 Peter 2:15

I believe Peter was telling us not to argue, debate or show contempt for those with whom we disagree. We should quietly go about doing good.

Peter also has a lot to say about respect:

Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king. 2:17

Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, by observing your pure and reverent lives. 
1 Peter 3:2

Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect... (Not that he was saying slavery was okay, only how to act if you were a slave.)

Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers. 3:7

There is a lot of disrespect going on in the realm of politics. I'm guilty of this myself. I agree with what Peter wrote and what God is telling us. Show respect for all authority and live your life doing good.






3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree there is NO respect for each other, for authority, for righteous living nor for the Father and His Son...but are we not forwarned of such activity as we have today .....clearly an obvious sign of our times....I like the scripture also I Peter 2:15 ..I like the way KJV states it the best: "For so is the will of God, tha with well doing ye may put to silence te ignorance of foolish men.".....verse 16 commands us to not use the well doing as a cloak of maliciousness but only as a servant of God!
Have a wonderful weekend Belle...I love your name....if I had a little girl < which I DO NOT WANT AT 56) I would name her Belle

Unknown said...

I agree there is NO respect for each other, for authority, for righteous living nor for the Father and His Son...but are we not forwarned of such activity as we have today .....clearly an obvious sign of our times....I like the scripture also I Peter 2:15 ..I like the way KJV states it the best: "For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men.".....verse 16 commands us to not use the well doing as a cloak of maliciousness but only as a servant of God!
Have a wonderful weekend Belle...I love your name....if I had a little girl < which I DO NOT WANT AT 56) I would name her Belle
< deleted first post due to sooo many typos...sorry>

Belle said...

RA- Thanks so much, I didn't like my name when I was little, but I do now. I hope your Sunday is wonderful! God bless.