Friday, May 29, 2015

Sold into Sin.

Slaves: Istanbul Archaelogical Museum.

Photo by: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:G.dallorto

My sister wrote me today about something she read in the Bible. I love the image she gave. Here it is:

"I was reading Romans and something jumped out at me. Paul said he was SOLD into slavery to sin...something totally against his will. In my mind I saw him up on a platform in chains, filthy and emaciated, and there's Adam as the auctioneer. 
Adam sold us to sin but at any time we decide on, Jesus can buy us. But even if we become servants in Jesus' household, we still have the scars and bad habits acquired when sin owned us. I guess what I'm trying to say is that none of it is our fault and Jesus knows it, but he also knows that the more time we spend serving in his house, the more the scars and bad habits will fade." 

"For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin."  Romans 7:14

No, it isn't our fault we were born into a world of sin. I'm sure that is just one reason we are so dear to the heart of God. But even though he allowed us to be born into an evil world where we suffer, it is worth it (I admit it took me years to accept this) because he will make it up to us one day; he will give us a life that is so wonderful and different that Paul said we cannot even imagine it.  

"That is what the Scriptures mean when they say, 'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.' "  1 Corinthians 2:9


No comments: