Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Courage of Jesus.



I saw this question online today on Wendy Pope's blog at http://proverbs31.org/

 "What is one character trait Jesus bears that you would like to imitate?"

I immediately thought of courage since I feel like I have none. When Jesus was here, he seemed to have a lot of courage. He stood up to those who criticized his friends and were doing evil, he lived a life of poverty depending on the offerings of others, and he walked towards the cross with... "his face set like flint."

"And I know that I will not be ashamed.I gave my back to those who strike, and my cheeks to those who pull out the beard; I hid not my face from disgrace and spitting.
For the Lord GOD helps Me, Therefore, I am not disgraced; Therefore, I have set My face like flint,"  Isaiah 50:6

After thinking a bit, I decided love was a better trait than courage. Love is what God's kingdom is all about. It is what he is. Still, I just love Jesus' courage. I love how he faced life, trusting in his Father, never worried or seemingly afraid. 

However, the thought of the pain and humiliation of the cross brought Jesus a terrible sadness. “Now is my soul troubled. And what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? But for this purpose I have come to this hour."  John 12:27

I used to imagine what it was like to die for Jesus. Through the years, many were burned at the stake, tortured to death or thrown to the lions. It has actually been millions of people, starting with the death of Stephen and James. It is still going on right now in the Middle East and Africa. I wonder and I hope I would have the courage to die for the God I love. I pray I would. I would need his courage to do it.

Then He said to them, "My soul is deeply grieved, to the point of death; remain here and keep watch with Me." And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will."

Jesus didn't have to just die; he had to bear the sin of the world on his heart and become sin for us, an offering of blood and death so we could be saved. How that felt and what that really means is beyond my understanding. I think it means he went through hell for us.

"So Jesus said to Peter, "Put the sword into the sheath; the cup which the Father has given Me, shall I not drink it?"

I thank God for Jesus' courage, for he decided to drink the cup of suffering that would save us.








No comments: