Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Forgiveness.

"Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.”
Colossians 3:13

I read an article that said most people believe communication is the most important thing in a marriage. But when asked, a woman who had been married a long time said she would say the most important thing is forgiveness.

You can communicate your hurt feelings, but you can also hang onto them for a long time. You can tell your spouse what is wrong, but how do you fix what is wrong. Forgiveness.

I find this to be true in my marriage. Forgiveness means you look at your husband with love and acceptance. Unforgiveness means you look at him with contempt or hatred. I'm thankful my husband and I have learned how to forgive each other.

Thank you God for the gift of forgiveness!

2 comments:

betty said...

I think it is an art to forgive and then try to forget the "wrong doing" and not continue to dwell upon it or bring it up again and again. I think also someone might sometimes have to forgive their spouse or loved one even if the spouse or loved one doesn't realize they've done something that has hurt the other one. I'm struggling with that part, yet I know Jesus forgave us, so I need to forgive others......

very good thoughts and so thankful too that God does give us that gift of forgiveness!

betty

Belle said...

You are right. We need to forgive, even when that person doesn't think they did wrong.
I used to talk with my hubby about times he hurt my feelings. I rarely do that any more. I find it best just to talk with God about it and let it go. And not just to talk, but to sometimes say to God, "I don't know how you put up with his stupidity." And really, I don't!
But after all, people can't change completely because we want them to. And I know hubby has accepted stuff about me that he doesn't like.