Thursday, May 26, 2011

Think Carefully.

A scribe came to Jesus and said, "Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go."

But Jesus said, "The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head."

Another man said to Jesus, "Lord, permit me to go and bury my father first. (He thought he should wait until his father passed on before following Jesus)

Jesus said, "Follow me, and allow the dead to bury their dead."

My Bible commentary says, "Jesus was always direct with those who wanted to follow him. He made sure they counted the cost and set aside any conditions they might have."

The scribe needed to realize there would be no worldly or monetary benefit to following Jesus. The second man needed to realize the decision to follow Jesus should not be put off. We should put him first above our family and all other considerations.

5 comments:

betty said...

amen! I do agree with that. He wants our all, he deserves our all too!

betty

SueH said...

Thankyou for tha thought provoking post.

At the end of the day we have nothing but God - our family, status and wealth count for nothing in the final analysis. But in this world we may be blessed with all these things - it is easy for us to be distracted and move our focus from God.

Belle said...

Yes, he does deserve our all, and it is true also that in the end we have nothing but God.

Clarence Heller said...

In the past I struggled with making sense of passages like Lk 18:28-30, with questions like "How could it be right to give up my wife for God?" But now I understand that it is like you are saying, put God first and everything else follows and will become integrated in that relationship.

Belle said...

Yes, eternal life is too important to let anyone or anything come between us and God. My first husband hated it when I became a Christian. He wanted me to turn my back on God, but I refused. He left me, but later on I met a man who loved God too and everything did work out well.

Going through that was very painful, but God helped me.