Friday, September 16, 2011

Look Up.


I just finished reading a book by Mitch Albom called, "Have a Little Faith". Mitch's rabbi, Albert Lewis, asked him to give his eulogy when he died. Mitch felt he needed to know the rabbi better if he was to do this so he came to visit and interview Albert Lewis in the years before he died. In the beginning, Mitch had no faith; by the end he did. I loved this book. Here is a passage from it:

"I used to think I knew everything. I was a "smart person" who "got things done," and because of that, the higher I climbed, the more I could look down and scoff at what seemed silly or simple, even religion

But I realized something as I drove home that night; that I am neither better nor smarter, only luckier. And I should be ashamed of thinking I knew everything, because you can know the whole world and still feel lost in it. So many people are in pain - no matter how smart or accomplished - they cry, they yearn, they hurt. But instead of looking down on things, they look up, which is where I should have been looking too. Because when the world quiets to the sound of your own breathing, we all want the same things: comfort, love and a peaceful heart."

2 comments:

betty said...

sounds like a good story; I'll have to check it out!

betty

Belle said...

It was wonderful, Betty. He also interviewed a Christian minister who worked for the homeless.