Friday, October 28, 2011

The Beatitudes.


I've been reading a book about the Beatitudes and was reading them in the Bible this morning. I thought I'd post about them for the next few weeks. The Beatitudes certainly show a deep difference between the way God thinks and humans think. I want to think like God.

Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven."

"Lucky are the Unlucky," is what Philip Yancey says about the Beatitudes in his book called, "The Jesus I Never Knew." He says:

 "In the Beatitudes, Jesus honored people who may not enjoy many privileges in this life. To the poor, the mourners, the meek, the hungry, the persecuted, the poor in heart, he offered assurance that their service would not go unrecognized. They would receive ample reward."

"The poor in spirit." Are you feeling sad, overwhelmed and unequal to your world. You are fortunate. It means you might reach out to God for help. The proud and overly self-confident don't feel a need for God. They believe they are up to any task. They think others are weak and people use God as a crutch.

I need God to be my crutch for I cannot live a beautiful life full of love without him. I cannot face the sadness of life without him. I've tried it and it doesn't work. I'm glad and fortunate to be poor in spirit.

2 comments:

betty said...

Me too, Belle. I do need God in my life. I have said to Jesus lots of times "I don't want to do life without you, Lord".

I look forward to reading more aobut the Beatitudes as you share them.

betty

Belle said...

It is so wonderful we have him to go to!