Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Our Shepherd.

Some men came to Jesus and said, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ  tell us plainly."

Jesus said, "I did tell you, but you did not believe. The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, but you did not believe because you are not my sheep."

"My sheep listen to my voice, I know them and they follow me. I give them eternal life and they shall never perish. No one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all. No one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. The Father and I are one."

In the Middle East sheep follow their shepherds; they are not driven by sheepdogs or men like in the western world. Jesus does not drive people ahead of him; he calls and we either listen to his voice or ignore him and walk away. He calls and then leaves the decision with us.

I love the image of no one being able to snatch us out of the hand of Jesus. Wolves can snatch sheep away from the flock. Jesus is telling us not to worry; nothing will separate us from him and he will give us eternal life.

1 comment:

betty said...

I too find comfort in no one can snatch us out of Jesus' hands :)

betty