Friday, October 14, 2011

God is not a Nazi.





From The Jesus I Never Knew, by Philip Yancey.

"God is not a Nazi," said Thomas Merton. Indeed God is not. the Master of the universe would become its victim, powerless before a squad of soldiers in a garden. God made himself weak for one purpose: to let human beings choose freely for themselves what to do with him."

Although power can force obedience, only love can summon a response of love, which is the one thing God wants from us and the reason he created us. "I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself." God's nature is self-giving; he bases his appeal on sacrificial love.

I remember the night I gave my life to Jesus. I was at an evangelistic meeting. I found all the facts from the Bible interesting but every night when they gave a call for people to come forward I didn't feel an urge to do it. Then one night the preacher spoke on Jesus' love. I even remember now the picture of Jesus they put on the screen. I felt in awe, I felt moved, I felt a presence overshadow me. I stood up as if in a dream and walked up to the stage and gave my life to God. His love was the one thing that drew me.

2 comments:

betty said...

probably because he is the perfect example and representative of love and with that sinking into your heart, it was "easy" to be drawn to him. I am glad God is not a Nazi; I have heard him described as a perfect gentleman. He only goes where he is wanted; he leaves if he is not.

betty

Belle said...

Yes, Betty that is so true. You never see him forcing himself on anyone in the Bible. He would speak to people and then leave them to decide for themselves.