Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Gays & Churches.

I'm taking a break today on the Sermon on the Mount to write about something that is important to me. I have given my opinion on this subject in comments on other blogs so I feel I should post about it myself.

My sister is gay. She doesn't have a partner and hasn't for many years. Once when she lived in Florida, she told me she would like to go to church. I asked her why she didn't and she said, "I can't go. They hate people like me."

Is this the message we want to give to gay people? Personally, when I see Christians protesting against gays it makes my blood boil. There are thousands of sins much worse than having inappropriate sex. Why do they choose to make such a big deal out of this one? I think it is because they aren't tempted by it. Personally, I believe it is okay for gays to get married as long as they stay faithful to each other. No adultery. That sin is in the Ten Commandments.

God allowed godly men like Abraham, David, Solomon and Jacob to have multiple wives. We think that is a sin and it was. The kings of Israel were told not to have many wives, yet this was ignored. David was only punished by God when he committed adultery and murder.

We have so many different denominations in Christianity. Why? Because we can't agree on what the Bible teaches. Well, I know one thing. Jesus never turned away anyone who came to him. If he wants someone to give up a gay partner and be celibate then the Holy Spirit will convict that person. If God doesn't care about it then he won't convict that person. Why should we care what they and God decide? But then, that is why I no longer go to church because I was sick of all the condemning of others that was going on.

In my old church there were so many conditions to becoming a member it was amazing anyone was ever accepted. They wouldn't accept me right now because I am smoking and have the occasional drink.

I don't mind if you disagree with me. I don't mind at all. In fact, I know most Christians will. But I hope we could all agree to disagree and be loving to each other no matter what our beliefs. I think when Jesus talked about the kingdom of heaven being like a seed of grain that became, "first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head," it means the slow growth we take becoming more and more like God. Why can't we just accept people exactly as they are and let God worry about the growth, whatever that growth may entail.

5 comments:

betty said...

I think the church has done wrong with how they have treated homosexuals. I have had several pastors basically say the same thing. I believe the Bible does state God's position on homosexuality and since I use the Bible as my litmus test on life, I'll go with what it says. I also agree 100% with you Belle about churches being condemning, they are going to have to answer to God for that; God does not take it lightly how the shepherds tend hios flock. I do know though there are churches out there who really try to do their best not to be condemning. I would say the majority of the ones we have gone to have not been judgmental or condemning. In fact our present pastor is the first one to admit that he is a flawed, broken person in need of the grace and mercy and forgiveness of God :)

betty

Belle said...

Thanks so much for your comment, Betty. I am glad to hear there are pastors who are saying the churches have treated homosexuals wrongly. I'm also glad you have found a good church with a wonderful pastor.

I feel that if I look at Jesus' life, he said to people, "Follow me." If we could just invite people to follow him and talk about him and his love instead of what we think is right and wrong, then people would be attracted to church and to God. Then when they give themselves to God he can help them. It seems like we want people to clean themselves up before we will worship with them.

Anonymous said...

God loves all people < sinful people uhmm you know you and I > ye who is w/out sin cast the first stone....it is our sinful lifestyle he hates; There is always hope found in His Love and are we not called to be His expressed image of Love to all of mankind? Not pick and choose who we love or hate ...but to love as Christ loved! God sent His son b/c He first love us, the Son came and died to redeem us from our darkness, hate and death ...each day is a new fresh salvation experience...save me o'Lord from the hate within, the prejudice within, the Pride within .... Belle, I feel your passion, and as "That Corgi" stated the Word of God clearly defines homosexuality, but it also defines, hatred, adultery,idolatry, there is but ONE JUST JUDGE AND IT IS NOT US! Hugs to you from an Arkansas Gal

Belle said...

Thank you Rhonda. It isn't our place to judge people, you are right. We all are sinners and all need cleansing. We need him before we can change for, "Without me, you can do nothing." I think the reason tax collectors and prostitutes were attracted to Jesus was his great love and acceptance of them. The Pharisees were not attracted to Jesus for some reason. Pride, I guess. Thanks again.

KaLynn ("MiMi") said...

The older I get the more I realize I know nothing. I do not understand how anyone can turn another one away from God and Jesus. A sin is a sin. Period. Aren't they all equal in God's eyes? They are big and small in our eyes but not His.It is not our place to judge anyone. We are to help others. I just don't get it.