Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Psalm 41 - False Friends.

Psalm 41 - What it means to me.

Even my close friend,
someone I trusted,
one who shared my bread,
has turned against me.  Verse 9

I have had friends turn against me. It hurts a lot when that happens.  We know it happened to Jesus, not just once but twice. Judas betrayed him after following him for three years. He tented with Jesus, ate with him and listened to his teachings. But Judas' heart was not changed - he had an evil heart that he never let Jesus touch.

The other time Jesus had people turn against him was the day after he fed the 5,000. Some of the people followed him to the other side of the lake and asked him to feed them always. They were talking of physical food. They were tired of being poor and having to work so hard. After Jesus said, "I am the bread of life," they understood he was offering a spiritual kingdom, not a physical one. Many turned away from him that day. Sometimes we may have friends like that; they are only friends for what they can get from you.

What does it do to the heart of God when we turn away from him? When speaking of having to give up on Israel, God says, "How can I give you up, O Ephraim? How can I surrender you, O Israel? How can I make you like Admah? How can I treat you like Zeboiim? My heart is turned over within Me, All My compassions are kindled.
 Hosea 11:8

Jeremiah 31:20 says, "Is not Ephraim my dear son, the child in whom I delight? Though I often speak against him, I still remember him. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I have great compassion for him," declares the LORD."

Ephraim is the word for the 10 tribes of Israel who preferred idol worship to the worship of God. They were rebellious and practiced child sacrifice. God loves them and does not want to let them go but eventually he must. He must allow them the free will to choose whom they will serve.

No comments: