Monday, August 4, 2014

Psalm 46 - Earthquakes, Fires and Floods - The End of All Things.

Psalm 46 - What it means to me.

God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.  Verses 1-3

Can you imagine not being afraid while you stand watching an earthquake that levels mountains and creates tidal waves? 

I once read a story of a ship on the Atlantic that was in a wild storm. It seemed the ship would sink. People were screaming and full of terror. Yet a man saw a group of people standing apart from everyone singing a hymn. They were missionaries. They were not afraid of the sea or of death. 

That story always reminds me of Jesus' disciples who were afraid when they were in a storm on the sea of Galilee. They woke Jesus and asked, "Don't you care we are going to die?" Jesus answered, "Why are you afraid? You have so little faith."  Matthew 8:26 The disciples were young in their faith but eventually learned to trust God unto death.

To me, it seems an amazing thing not to be afraid in a deadly storm, earthquake or tsunami. Yet, God says we can be calm and at peace even if we go through something like this. I believe what God says. I believe we can be in perfect peace no matter what happens around us. I've been in car accidents and it amazed me that I didn't feel any fear. I just remember wondering if I would live or not, but no fear! I can only think it was God's presence with me that gave me peace at those times.

We are living at the end of the world. The world is wearing out from all the abuse humans have heaped upon it. There will be more earthquakes, more floods, more fires. 

"Lift up your eyes to the sky, Then look to the earth beneath; For the sky will vanish like smoke, And the earth will wear out like a garment And its inhabitants will die in like manner; But My salvation will be forever, And My righteousness will not wane." 
Isaiah 51:6

And, “You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning, and the heavens are the work of your hands; they will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment..."
Hebrews 11:10,11

"And the nations were enraged, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged, and the time to reward Your bond-servants the prophets and the saints and those who fear Your name, the small and the great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth." Revelation 11:18

Psalm 46 begins with frightening images but ends with beautiful promises. I'll write about those promises in the next post.






No comments: