Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Psalm 51 - David's Sin and God's Forgiveness.

Psalm 51 - What it means to me.

David wrote this song after he had committed adultery and murdered her husband. God forgave him.

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Verse 10

Sometimes I say this prayer for myself. The previous verses spoke about being born sinful. We are all born that way and need to be born again, as Jesus said. Being born again means God giving us a new heart. Along with a new heart, David asks for a steadfast (constant, firm) spirit.

Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.  Verses 11-12

David asks for a willing spirit. All our willing to do good comes from God. Any good we have in us comes from Him. David had fallen so far he had lost his joy in salvation. He asks to return to God as he was before. God never turns us away, no matter what we have done. Many times there are consequences to what we do but God will be with us through that.

My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart
you, God, will not despise.  Verse 17

Micah chapter 6 deals with the sacrifice God loves.

With what shall I come before the Lord
and bow down before the exalted God?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
with calves a year old?

Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams,
with ten thousand rivers of olive oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,
the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy

and to walk humbly with your God.




No comments: